Palazzo Moriggia, designed by Giuseppe Piermarini, hosted the Department of Foreign Affairs during the Napoleonic era, then the Department of War. In 1900 it became a property of the De Marchi family, in 1950 it was donated to the Municipality of Milan and on that occasion it was decided to turn it into a museum.
The interior of the building, located in the Brera district, is organized around a large main courtyard and one minor courtyard that have recently been restored and brought back to their original splendor. Under the background porch the bronze sketch of the monument to the Cinque Giornate di Milano by Giuseppe Grandi and the statue of Marco de Marchi can be seen. The last owner of the building, Rosa De Marchi, donated the house to the Municipality and today it hosts the Municipal Risorgimento Museum, the Modern and Contemporary History Laboratory, the Historical Archive and a Specialized Library. Palazzo Moriggia houses a rich collection of works and memorabilia from the Napoleonic age to the capture of Rome during the Risorgimento (1796-1870): printed documents, paintings, objects belonging to individuals like Napoleon, Garibaldi or Mazzini, and memorabilia of those days in Milanese history. A series of weapons, rifles , bayonets, sabres, belonging to the different armies fighting in Lombardy.