Palazzo Reale is one of the symbols of Ancient Milan. The court of the kings, a major landmark of Milanese history along the centuries because of all the political events it witnessed. Today, it is vitally important to the city’s cultural life. Its strategic position at the heart of the city, by the side of the Duomo and 900 years of history made it the ideal location for temporary exhibitions of significant value.
Towards the end of the 18th century Giuseppe Piermarini carried out the great transformation towards a Neoclassical style. In 1920, Palazzo Reale became State property and was opened to visitors. The 1943 bombings destroyed part of the building and only today, after decades of difficult rebuilding and restoration work, the complete restitution of the palace to the city is within sight.